Saturday, October 9, 2010

Naming Baby Jackson

Eric and I have not considered many names for our son. We have always known that if we had a boy, we would name him Collin. Eric has always loved the name Collin. He has told me for as long as I can remember that he wants to name his son Collin. I love the name, and honestly love the idea of our little guy having that name.

As for Collin’s middle name, this has very special meaning for Eric. One of Eric’s closest friends, Blake Benton, lost his battle to brain cancer in 2006, after a five year struggle with the disease.



Eric went through a rough time after his death. He still has dreams about his dear friend Blake. At first this was hard for me to understand. I try so hard to be sympathetic to Eric when he has a dream, or every year on August 15th, the anniversary of his death. I have never lost a best friend. I have lost family members that I was close to, but never a best friend. I have gone with Eric out to Blake’s grave. Every time we go I am an emotional mess. Eric is so strong. I believe that the reason for Eric’s strength is the knowledge that Eric will see his friend again one day in Heaven.

I actually went to high school with Blake. Conway is a big school, Blake was a year older than me, but I still knew him. When my family first moved to Conway we attended Second Baptist Church. This is also where Blake and his family attended. I was not close to Blake, but knew very much about his health problems. I thought about his family many times. I just can’t imagine.

At our wedding, we had a candle in memory of Blake on the stage with us. I am so proud of Eric for continuing to remember his friend. Sometimes we to try to forget the horrible times in our life, but Eric sees it as nothing but an opportunity to learn. Learning to appreciate the relationships we have, and not to take them for granted.

So, our little guy will be named, Collin Blake Jackson. I’m so excited for Eric to share with Collin where he got his middle name, and the stories and memories he shared with his friend Blake.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the new blog layout. So cute!

    ...and another great post. There is nothing like being able to name your child. Especially one so meaningful.

    Can not WAIT to meet Mr. Collin!!!

    ReplyDelete