Saturday, April 3, 2010

God is Good!


Eric and I were doing great!! We were slowly starting to plan our wedding and start preparing for our future. We both had stable jobs (or so we thought), supportive families, and were looking forward to what the next few months were going to bring us. We were having fun with our friends, and didn't have a worry in the world. This would change very soon... the week after Eric proposed I lost my job!


A little background:

When I graduated high school, I decided that I would like to work at a bank, while going to college. I figured the hours would be good for a college student, and I didn’t think it could be that hard. Luckily, I was hired a couple weeks after graduation. I continued to work at a local bank until I graduated with my Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology. It took me 4 ½ years to graduate. During that time, I really had grown to love working in the banking industry. With a degree in Psychology, you really need to have your Master’s Degree in order to do much. I had graduated, and wasn’t really excited about going back to school. The bank I was currently working at, didn’t have any full time positions open at the time. I made the decision to start looking around at other banks. I took a full time job with a different bank, and was scared to death!! I had worked at this local bank for 5 years! Sometimes change can be very difficult for me. It seemed to be the best decision for me at the time. After 3 years working for this bank, I had moved my way up and was the assistant branch manager of a branch here in Conway. I loved my job. One morning, my regional manager had scheduled a meeting with me. This wasn’t anything out of the ordinary we met several times a month. This turned out to be the last meeting I would have with him. The bank I was working for was going through some very serious financial problems and had to lay some employees off. I was one of the lucky ones. My life was literally turned upside down! I had no clue what I was supposed to do. Banking was all I knew… I had been doing it for almost 9 years. I needed to listen to God now, more than ever. I knew this would all turn around for the best, but at the time, it was very hard to believe that.

I was unemployed for almost 3 months. WAY TOO LONG. I interviewed so many places, and it just seemed like there wasn’t anywhere that was hiring. I interviewed at a behavioral facility here in Conway for kids who had been kicked out of public schools. I wanted that job more than anything. I have always had a desire to work with kids, and I could actually use the degree I had worked so hard to get. However, I didn’t hear back from them. I got offered a teller position at another bank a couple of weeks later, and accepted! I was so happy to just have a job. I really started loving the people I was working with, and began to focus on starting at the bottom of the banking “chain” again. God provided exactly when I needed Him. I never doubted, but I can’t say there weren’t nights that I didn’t cry myself to sleep. God is good. He will never leave me or forsake me. Sometimes we just need that reminder.

1 comment:

  1. God definitely knew what he was doing! If you wouldn't have been laid off, you never would have applied at the job you have now! And clearly that is where He wants you. =)

    Was it really 3 months? Man, it doesn't seem like it was that long! Roller coaster of a ride!

    ReplyDelete